Hoping all of our STEAMpunks had a wonderful holiday season and are excited for all of the fun and opportunities 2018 has in store! As we have been cleaning up from our holiday festivities, I have come across many items and ingredients that are just begging to be re-purposed. The following craft ideas have been inspired by these holiday left overs as ways to up-cycle and incorporate them into fresh projects and activities that can ACTUALLY be done, relatively painlessly and best of all, cost effectively!
1. Wine Cork Decor & Activities: Round up all those wine corks to make some unique home decor projects – How to Build It’s article, 30 Ridiculously Clever Things You Can Make with Wine Corks offers some great suggestion from jewelry, and planter labels to stamps, figurines, photo holders, and much more!
2. Homemade Salt Decor: Put your left over baking flour to good use! Whip up a quick batch of Simple Salt Dough using the recipe below to keep busy for hours. Some ideas to create and bake include Impression and Cut-Out Ornaments, Hand prints, Picture Frames, and Jewelry Dishes.
3. Play Dough: Homemade play dough is another excellent use for those left over baking ingredients. Visit Paging Fun Mums! for a great recipe that takes only 5 minutes and requires no cooking – a helpful video tutorial has been included. This play dough will last a good while if stored in an air tight container.
4. Garden Lightning Bugs: Some garden wire and a couple washers will bring new life into those old holiday light bulbs! Check out these awesome Garden Lightning Bugs found on Pinterest.
5. Holiday Card Gift Tags: Turn your holiday cards into next year’s gift tags. Getting ready to do this one myself! I grabbed the Fiskars tag punch linked below, just came in the mail today and works great punching cleaning through greeting cards, also includes a grommet installer and small bag of grommets to get you started!
6. Festive Music CD Signage: Need a use for old music CDs? Turn them into signage with some scrapbooking paper (can use acrylic paint or cut out lettering), and tie them up or attached to mounted backing to make an updated piece of home decor.
7. Knitter’s Ornament: Have any yarn leftover from gift projects? Consider making ornaments from the yarn for a special added memory of your projects.
8. Peppermint Platter & Shot Glasses: Planning to give this a try using our left over candy canes as we still have a few gatherings to attend. Make some favorite desserts, like cookies or brownies, arrange on a peppermint platter, tie up with festive cellophane for a pro baker look. Put together your favorite dessert adult beverage or milk for the little ones in homemade candy cane shot glasses!
9. Woodslice Labels & Name Placards: Chalkboard paint turns some firewood into unique ornaments, labels, or signage!
10. Bound Holiday Card Collections: Prefer to store and collect your holiday cards as keepsakes? Consider using binder rings to create collectible volumes of greeting card memories – make some personalized covers to create annual card keeper binders!
Did any of these ideas help lead you to creatively repurpose some of those holiday items that may have ended up tossed aside? Share your projects and your own ideas for re-purposing holiday leftovers with us!
Cheers! –modtinker @ST3AMpunks